Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Tasting - Seven Oaks J. Lohr Cabernet Sauvignon

Name of the wine: Seven Oaks J. Lohr Cabernet Sauvignon

Variety of the grape(s) in the wine: Cabernet Sauvignon

Country of origin: United States

Region of origin: San Jose, California

Vintage year: 2020

Price: 10.99 (375 mL)


    


Wine Enthusiast Review

Critic tasting note: "For about a million cases, this is a reliable stud of a wine. Deep, dark blackberry and light wood aromas on the nose lead into berry jam, wood spice and caramel flavors, with amplified tannins promising at least a few years of freshness. Matt Kettmann" - 91/100, Wine Enthusiast


Wine Folly

Page 88 mentions Cabernet Sauvignon and says they are typically rich in flavors, high in tannins, and full in body but low in sweetness. These are definitely characteristics of this wine. The main flavors mentioned that I tasted were black cherry and black currant. Page 288 discusses California Pinot Grigios, mentioning lush black fruit flavors as well as “cedar, dusty minerality, and tobacco-laced tannins” which I could detect in this wine. 


My Review

I thought this wine was not super powerful but was flavorful. It was pretty smooth which I enjoyed. It has strong oaky, woody, and cherry aromas. I got a lot of flavors of black currant, blackberry and cherry. As well as hints of nutty, smokey and earthy. Overall the wine was not super acidic and was very soft which I enjoyed. However, I did not love all the flavors. I think I prefer less woody and more fruity wines. I had this with some pecorino romano cheese which softened the tannins and acidity of the wine a bit. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine and Cheese #3

This week I got together with some friends to have wine and cheese. One of whom is also in this class. We tried a cabernet sauvignon, a pino...