Monday, April 10, 2023

Tasting - Chateau Morrisette Sweet Mountain Laurel Table Wine


Name of the Wine: Chateau Morrisette Sweet Mountain Laurel Table Wine


Variety of the Grape(s) in the Wine: Niagara grape


Country of Origin: United States


Region of Origin: Floyd, VA (South West Virginia)


Vintage Year: Not on the label

Price: $8.99 / bottle





Review

Vivino Rating: 3.5/5

“A unique and refreshingly sweet dessert style wine made from American native grape varieties. Firm acidity balances the sweetness, producing a crisp finish with aromas of freshly picked grapes. Made with Niagara grapes and blended with White Muscadine, Traminette and Vidal Blanc. Pour over fresh berries and sponge cake or blend with vanilla ice cream and fruit for a creamy dessert smoothie” - Virginia ABC


Wine Folly 

The Wine Folly text mentions Muscadine and Niagara in the also-try section for the Concord grape (pg 102), and Vidal is mentioned in the Ice Wine section which is a dessert wine so I imagine it is somewhat similar (pg 121). Overall there’s not much on the grapes in this wine. I mainly detected aromas of tree fruits/melons, citrus, and flowers (pg 593). I got flavors of  nectarine, peach, honeydew, honeysuckle, peony, and grapefruit. The wine was definitely high in sweetness, had medium body and structure, and low acidity. 


My Review

I really enjoyed this wine. I like sweet wine and this one was pretty sweet. It also had notes of crisp apples, nectarine, and florals such as honeysuckle which I really enjoyed. I did not have it with food and was still very good on its own. I found it not super light, with a bit more body than other white wines I have had. The bit of acidity also gave it a nice crisp finish. The pretty bottle and label was also a big plus and which was why I gravitated towards it in the first place.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine and Cheese #3

This week I got together with some friends to have wine and cheese. One of whom is also in this class. We tried a cabernet sauvignon, a pino...