Sunday, April 2, 2023

Tasting - Gatão Vinho Verde

Name of the wine: Borges Gatão Vinho Verde

Variety of the grape(s) in the wine: Avesso, Loureiro, Trajadura, Pederna, Azal

Country of Origin: Portugal 

Region of Origin: Minho, Portugal (Vinho Verde)

Vintage Year: Unknown 

Price: $8.95


Review of the Wine

“One of the most familiar Vinho Verde brands in Portugal, this wine is medium sweet with a light prickle on the tongue. It is fruity with creamed apple and citrus along with a touch of honey. The wine is crisp and clean, delicious to drink as an apéritif” - Roger Voss 

Wine Enthusiast 85 points 


Wine Folly

Vinho Verde is described as low in alcohol, body, sweetness and tannins, but high in acidity. (Wine Folly pg 184). I thought the wine was definitely acidic but not extremely acidic, and it was definitely low in the other characteristics. I thought it was very light, pretty dry, and acidic. The flowers mentioned were lemonade, pink grapefruit, lime zest, yellow apple, and white blossom (pg 184). I thought the main aromas were citrus and melon. I also detected flavors of crisp apple, lemon, lime, and honey which is consistent with the text. 


My Review

I really enjoyed this wine. It had many flavors going on and the dryness allowed for me to detect those flavors. I really like the citrus and light crispness of the wine. I didn’t try it with food but I think it would be good with light dishes. For the price, it is definitely a great value Portugal white wine. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine and Cheese #3

This week I got together with some friends to have wine and cheese. One of whom is also in this class. We tried a cabernet sauvignon, a pino...